Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Mother's Worry

I worry so much about my 2 year old, Kayla. When is worry good and when is worry bad as a mother? I even worry about how much I worry!!!

She has worried me since the day she was born about her size. Even as a full term baby, she always had this "premature" appearance about her. Still to this day, I get comments about how thin she looks, and everyone always asks me how old she is, and if she was born premature. There has never been a time in the past 2 years that we have not been watching and examining her weight. At her 2 year check up in January we had another episode of worry when she only clocked in at 19.2 lbs, and the doctor was concerned. We took her back in February for a weight check, and she amazingly was 20.2 lbs, so I guess we are now okay again.

Now I am worried about her speech. It is not her vocabulary, because that is above and beyond what most kids her age have. She can point at pictures and tell you what it is, or repeat any word you tell her to say. However, she does not understand what is actually being said by people, or other times she can't seem to find the words to tell us what she wants. I have had it suggested to me that she may have an expressive or receptive language disorder.

It is so hard to decide whether something is truly wrong, or if you are just being a mother that is worrying too much. She may grow up to be an average sized person with no speech problems, and I will look back at this and laugh at my worry:-) I also think sometimes as mother we focus too much on what our kids can't do, and not on all the great things they can do!

It helps my worry to also remind myself that #1 God is in control and #2 God made Kayla exactly who He wanted her to be!

For all my fellow worriers, here is some encouragement!

Matthew 6:34
So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Philippians 4:6
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

1 Peter 5:7
Casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.

5 comments:

sharonie said...

i am a queen at being a worry wort! i am the worst!!! good thing about Kayla is that she has a loving Godly mother who is an active participant in her life and with that she can achieve anything!

Nicole said...

It sounds like you are a wonderful mother Melissa. I imagine that it's natural to worry. Some kids are just small. I have a friend who went through a similar situation with her daughter. The fact is that she is a petite woman, so her daughter is also.

Do you have a Child & Family Connections site near you? When I worked with children ages birth-5years, we referred to them all the time. They'll do a developmental screening and provide therapy if needed. I believe they only work with kids through age 3. I have heard that they are wonderful. Their website: childandfamilyconnections.org in case you want to check them out.

Bethany Patrice said...

I can't wait until she is old enough to come and stay with us for a few days. She is so CUTE!!!!

Nicole said...

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you! I'm afraid I'm not too much help as I haven't heard of Project Spice. I hope the appt. goes well! Rest assured that if a delay in an area is found, with early intervention services, they can get her caught up and no one will ever know!

~Jo~ said...

Hi! I'm a random passer-through, but I was interested to see your comments about your concerns for Kayla. You probably already know this, but fwiw - when it comes to language, it is really important to get therapy as young as possible while childrens' brains are the most plastic they'll ever be. If you're concerned, get it checked out (and again, the earlier the better, considering some waiting lists...) My two cents' worth... =)