Monday, February 9, 2009

Bye Bye Bottle


So, I am going to start weaning Kayla from the bottle, and start tying to give her whole milk instead of formula. I have read it can take a long time, but it is better to start them now then later.

Kayla will NOT drink from a sippy cup and she will NOT drink through a straw. However, she has started drinking out of a regular cup. A lot still dribbles down her chin, but she actually is getting better. She will also hold it herself and bring it to her face to drink. The only problem is that you can't leave her alone with the cup yet, because she wants to dump it and throw it, which is why I wish she would do a sippy cup.


The challenges:
1) She will only take little bits of juice and water out of the cup, but she still wants her mealtime milk in a bottle.

2)You have to lay her down with a small bottle of milk for naps and bedtime for her to go to sleep, if you don't, she FREAKS out.

I have been told to just cold turkey take away the bottle, and they will get thirsty enough to drink out of anything. I have been told to take away one bottle at a time, and take away the nighttime bottle last. Lots of other advice, so I guess we will see.

These are the times as parents where you just want to keep everything going the way it is, but you know your job as a parent in to teach them to become more independent. It would be so easy just to keep letting her drink formula and use a bottle! I am sure when potty training comes, I will be saying it would be so easy just to keep her in a diaper!

A friend told me not to stress because they will eventually do it...she has never seen any kid go to college holding a bottle with a diaper on:-)

No comments: