Thursday, July 31, 2008

What Not to Wear

I don't know why, but I love the show "What Not to Wear" on TLC. Here is a description of how the show works:

"Fashion cops Stacy London and Clinton Kelly ambush a style felon who has been nominated by family and friends and offer that person $5000 to buy a new wardrobe -- if he or she will let Stacy and Clinton critique (and usually throw out) the current wardrobe. Based on a British TV series of the same title."

Although they are usually VERY mean when sifting through the person's current wardrobe, and throwing it all in the trash can (they really donate all of the clothes they throw out), in the end the person usually looks fantastic! I think I could stand any rudeness to get a new wardrobe, new hairstyle, and new makeup!

Through the process, they also teach a lot of these women confidence and self respect...not saying these things should only come from the clothes you wear, but I do believe that how you look does reflect how you feel about yourself, and what you wear can affect how you feel. They also show people that it doesn't matter your shape or size because anybody can look good if you buy things that fit you the proper way.

The funniest thing to me is those items in a person's wardrobe that they can't stand to see thrown out, even though they are either ridiculous, don't fit, worn, outdated, or just plain disgusting. It is funny because we all have them! It may be a New Kids on the Block T-shirt, a pair of comfortable ripped jeans, a pair of broken shoes, a jacket with shoulder pads that an airplane could land on, a white shirt with armpit stains, shirts with holes that we will one day repair, clothes that "might" one day be back in style, or clothes that "might" fit again one day.

I just went through my closet yesterday, and I still had clothes from junior high/high school! Please, somebody nominate me for this show:-)

2 comments:

Bethany Patrice said...

my sister keeps clothes for decades!

sharonie said...

okay...i do keep clothes long and still can wear them because they are back in style...call me packrat fine...i jus told Jason I need to get rid of clothes, but I find a reason to always keep them when I try to get rid of them.