Thursday, May 8, 2008

Laziness




We are studying proverbs in our small group, and yesterday we were talking about the verses that speak of diligence, and that laziness leads to poverty, and hard work leads to wealth. Our small group leaders asked the question "Laziness leads to poverty, but is all poverty the result of laziness?" I really had to think about this, but then we started thinking about examples of countries that have selfish dictators, victims of natural disasters, or people that work hard who just hit a bad time in their life. I have to admit sometimes I have been hesitant to help people thinking they are just lazy, that they take advantage of free handouts, and they know how to "work the sytem." However, this was God's gentle way of reminding me to soften my heart, and that we can't just not help those who really need it in fear that we might help those who really don't.

2 comments:

Bethany Patrice said...

somtimes I wonder if who I am helping is "worthy" of my resources, whether it be my time or my money. I have to remind myself that regardless, I am giving to the Lord when I give to the "least". Plus, I wasn't so worthy of God's generosity towards me!

sharonie said...

i am so glad you are blogging!