Monday, June 30, 2008

Acts of Kindness


I am always inspired by people who perform random acts of kindness. It requires a person to take a time out from what is going on in their own life to think about someone else, and expect nothing in return.

Yesterday I received a gift from the daughter of a patient I cared for all last weekend. It was more than I expected for simply caring for her mother, which is a job that I am expected to do, and that I am payed to do. This is very common for patients and their families to leave personal gifts or gifts for the entire unit. We even get tokens of appreciation from families of patients that have been on our unit for months, and end up passing away.

In my personal life, whether it has been a letter or phone call when I needed it most, offers to watch Kayla, an unexpected gift, help with house projects, a meal I didn't have to make, or even money from an anonymous sender when Brian and I were in a tight spot early on in our marriage...big or small acts of kindness are never a waste of time, and always appreciated.

No comments: