Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Diaper Rash

I woke up Monday morning after a long weekend of work and discovered that Kayla had a diaper rash. She has had little red dots before, but this was bright red, raw, and blistered! I was going to take a picture, but I thought she would never forgive me when she is older.

I have a little book from me pediatrician's office that tells you how they recommend you treat common conditions. I have been soaking her butt in 15 minute warm water baths three times each day, checking her diaper every hour, washing her butt with water and a mild soap after bowel movements, and letting her hang out naked most of the day on a waterproof pad so the rash is exposed to air for healing. I also smear her butt with Desitin Creamy, which is the best stuff ever!

This morning I went to put her in the warm water bath, and the rash is almost gone! Babies have amazing skin...I wish I could bottle it up to sell! Kayla scratches her face, and the scratch is gone the next day.

On a side note, Kayla pooped in the tub for the first time...yuck! She had this really serious look on her face, then pooped, and began to laugh hysterically.

2 comments:

Joan said...

Can't wait to see you on Friday! I miss you all!

Bethany Patrice said...

2 weird things about diaper rashes..my doctor told me to put baking powder on Parker's bottom, and then he said not to wipe with the wipe, but rather blot. Weirdness.

I am sending a pair of Jeans with Joan that I orginally bought when I was pregnant with Parker....but they are too girly for him to wear. They've been sitting in a drawer for 4 1/2 years, so if they don't work for Kayla, use them as a dusting rag.