Thursday, June 12, 2008

Won't you be my, Won't you be my, Won't you be...my neighbor?

Yesterday in bible study we looked at what Proverbs has to say about community. We talked about examples of being good neighbors (like introducing yourself and talking with them), and examples of being not so good neighbors (like calling the cops without trying to resolve the issue first). Our leaders challenged us to step out of our comfort zone to do something for a neighbor, and we can use this as one more avenue to spread Christ's love to others.

I got to thinking about Brian and I as neighbors. We have done some nice things like bringing a family dinner, giving a new family from India a case of diapers for their newborn twins, watching kids, carrying drywall (I volunteered Brian for that one), and getting mail for people on vacation.

However, there are neighbors we have not taken the time to meet. When we are tired we tend to avoid conversation with the neighbors:-) We don't attend any of the association meetings. Each year we seem to miss the block party. On nights we are outside we sit in back on the deck, instead of on the front porch.

I just remember my neighborhood when I grew up. The parents were always outside doing stuff together, while us kids played games like flashlight tag. That is what I hope Kayla will be able to have when she gets older.

How about we make Mr. Rogers proud today. Put on your cable knit sweater, zip it up, lace up your shoes...don't forget to feed the fish...and go do something for a neighbor:-)

No comments: